What is it like to serve on a jury? Just ask Valerie!

My role in the Mock Trial was to serve as a jury member. My duties as a juror were to listen to the facts of the case presented by the Plaintiff and Defendant to determine if the accused was innocent or guilty. I liked the experience of being a jury member, but I did not like having to be one of the people that would determine the fate of a man on such evidence that was presented. I felt the evidence provided by the plaintiff was not credible by use of ethos to lead the jury, and the people of the court that he was capable of murder because of using horse meat at his restaurant.

During the jury deliberation, I found myself to use more logic than any other form of persuasion. The point of the case was to find the murderer, not go with the easiest suspect because another individual could not be located. The investigation could have formed more evidence had they taken the time to talk to more people. I myself am glad that I was able to be a part of this mock trial because it really gave me perspective on what goes on in a real courtroom. I would not like to be a part of a decision as big as deciding if someone was going to prison for life or vice versa.

Written by MSTC Written Communication Student, Valerie

Comments